Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mt. Cameroon 2011

I like doing things a second time. I always have. I remember as a child on the rare occasion that we rented a VCR and a movie, I always wanted to rent a Haley Mills movie even though there were so many other choices. I think it comes from wanting to know what to expect. So I guess it isn't a surprise that I have returned to live in Cameroon a second time or that I recently hiked Mt. Cameroon a second time. The first time I hiked Mt. Cameroon was in 2007 with other Peace Corps Volunteers. This time I hiked it with Shirin and her boyfriend, Shaun. I met Shirin in 2007 when we were both working in Bafut. She has also returned to work in Cameroon for a few months and is based in Bamenda. At 4090 meters, Mt. Cameroon is the tallest peak in West Africa. It is a volcanic mountain which last erupted in 2000 and located next to Buea in the Southwest Region. Hiking Mt. Cameroon was one of my favorite experiences as a Peace Corps Volunteer because of the physical challenge and majestic views. I still remember when I was preparing for my last trip, Eunice said to me, "Sister, how are you preparing your mind for that mountain?" Well, thankfully with the aid of four porters and a guide I didn't have to do too much preparation. Below are some of the pictures from our three-day trek. More pictures can be found at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Kate.Reinsma/MtCameroon2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCOWL5qugs8KfWQ

View of Buea from the base of Mt. Cameroon
Starting the ascent from Upper Farms


Our first resting place: Hut One
Out of the forest and into the savannah
Hiking above the clouds
Our dinner of rice and stew the first night
The windy summit!
Hilary, one of our porters, with Buea in the background
View from the summit
The craters from the 1922 and 1999 eruption
Another crater
Relaxing at the beach at Limbe
Fish from down beach in Limbe
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! Some of the photos remind me of 9 peaks in a way......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably never get to climb Mt. Cameroon, but these pictures give me a good feel for it. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete