Sunday, August 14, 2011

I Talk Say...


I thoroughly enjoy the rhythm of Cameroonians’ speech patterns.  Their usage of the English language seems more vivid, apt, and descriptive then American English.  The British colonial influence is still evident in the spelling and usage of different words.  It is not a truck, but a lorry; it is not the trunk of a car, but the boot; it is not pants, but trousers. 

Sometimes I forget the different word uses, especially with pants.  To Cameroonians pants refers to under pants or as they sometimes call it, underwears.  One time I went to my tailor and was describing to him the style I wanted for my new pants.  He was quite surprised when I told him that I wanted them to start at my hip and reach all the way to my ankles.  After a few questioning looks I realized my mistake and said, “Oh no, I mean for my trousers!”

Some of my other favorite phrases I don’t think originate from the British but simply are an expression of how Cameroonians view things and their function.   You don’t roll down the window, but wind down the glass.  You don’t move over, but shift small.  You don’t have change, but small money.  You haven’t forgotten something, but it has slipped your mind. You don’t have scratches, but brushes.  You don’t do laundry, but wash your dresses.  You aren’t too busy, but your program is too choked (this is one of my all time favorites).  You aren’t running out of time, but you are against time.  You don’t say pretty please, but please, I beg.  You don’t wear flip-flops, but slippers or sans confidance meaning you can’t trust the shoes because they can easily fall off your feet.  You don’t take a shower, but bathe.  You don’t have a plastic bag, but a wrapper.  You can’t find something, but the thing is missing.  You are not very angry, but over-vexed.  You don’t have a computer, but a machine.  You don’t take a photograph, but a snap.  Something does not concern you, but worries you.  You don’t run, but you make sport.  You don’t cut your hair, but reduce your hairs.  You are not hairy, but bushy. You don’t kill a chicken, but a fowl.  You don’t have a daughter, but a girl-child.  You don’t finish work, but close from work.  You don’t walk, but trek. You don’t live far away, but in the bush.  You don’t have anything, but you get everything.  You aren’t in a hurry, but you are rushing.  And of course, I am not an American woman, but white man. 

A couple of weeks ago our scriptwriter for the audio program sent out the first draft of the audio program.  She did an excellent job of combining education and humor and creating realistic characters.  Here are a few of my favorite lines from the scripts:

They say a toad does not run around in the daytime for nothing. Something must be after it or it must be after something!

Wonders will never end!  (One woman’s response when told that breastmilk contains 88% water so she doesn’t need to give her baby water before six months of age.)

True, so that you will not be producing children like rats. (Another woman’s response when told that one of the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding your menses will delay in coming.) 

To add to my enjoyment of Cameroonians’ speech patterns are some great Pidgin words and phrases like pallava for problem, ashia for I’m sorry/I share with you, my belly done flop for I am full, and Big Day Maria.  Big Day Maria has been a favorite since I found out what it meant years ago.  It’s the Pidgin phrase to describe Assumption Day.  The day that the angel appeared to Mary to tell her she was pregnant with Jesus.  If you think about it, indeed it had to be a big day in the life of a young virgin girl to be told by an angel she was to give birth to the Son of God.   This morning I found out that tomorrow is a public holiday to celebrate Big Day Maria.  In honor of the day I think it is appropriate to conclude with a few words Mary said on that big day:

He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
He has scattered those who are proud in their innermost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
Luke 1: 51-52
     

No comments:

Post a Comment