Friday, December 23, 2011

I Am The Happiest of Happies

One of the things I enjoy most about living in Cameroon is the gratitude of the Cameroonians.  Every month I give my housekeeper, Doris, approximately $10 for coming once a week to scrub my floors; destroy wasps nests and spiderwebs; and wash my sheets, towels, and windows.  Each time I give her the money a bright smile quickly spreads across her face and she thanks me profusely as she turns around with an extra bounce in her step.  It always brings me joy to see her and other Cameroonian's gratitude and thus I was looking forward to Christmas and the opportunity to give gifts.   I've spent the last few days celebrating Christmas early with my friends who live around or in Bamenda. 

One of my first Christmas celebrations was with Franklin and his siblings.  After a discussion on the African view of metaphysics, I gave him a tie that my mom sent and his sisters fabric so they could sew their Christmas dresses.  


My next Christmas celebration was with Eunice's children and Peter. I bought matching suits for Lord and Babila.  I'm pretty sure the suits came from China, so they aren't the highest quality, but they seemed quite proud of their new threads.

Lord in his new suit.
Peter dressing Babila.  Unfortunately the person in China who sewed the clothes forgot to burst the holes, so he couldn't button the suit.  
Babila in his unbuttonable suit

I bought Kate a new dress for Christmas day.  In a blink of an eye she tore off her old clothes and put on her new dress.  My mom also sent her a doll and based on the input from Lord, she named her Courage.  She also received glow-in-the dark glasses which didn't quite fit, but were fun for the moment.

After opening the gifts we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner.  Peter kept telling me that he is the happiest of happies on this day and so grateful not only for the gifts, but also the support throughout the year.


I spent my very first Christmas in Cameroon with Eunice, Peter, Lord, and Babila, shortly before this picture was taken in 2005.  I still remember that day.  I had only been in Bafut for a few weeks and not wanting to spend Christmas by myself I made a cake and brought it to her house.  She promptly invited me inside and offered me food and made me feel apart of her family even though at that time we had only knew each other for a few weeks.  How I wish she could've been there the other night for her to see how handsome and beautiful her children are and to celebrate another Christmas in Cameroon with her.  But I am also the happiest of happies that I can still share and see her spirit in her children.

Lord Jesus Christ, your world awaits you. 
In the longing of the persecuted for justice;
In the longing of the poor for prosperity;
In the longing of the privileged for riches greater than wealth;
In the longing of our hearts for a better life;
And in the song of your Church, expectation is ever present. 
O come, Lord, desire behind our greatest needs.
O come, Lord, liberator of humanity. 
O come, Lord, O come, Immanuel.
Amen.
An Advent Prayer 


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment